Winter in Lanesboro...
...sets the scene for a quiet, relaxing time of year, where you can experience a time to “chill-inn Lanesboro.” Our town may be quieter, but we still have some offerings for you which include dining, weekend shopping, outdoor recreation, annual winter events, indoor exercise, cozy lodging, retreat space, and more. We are excited by the opportunity to host you during this calm and serene time of year. Listed below is all the information you need to know to plan your winter trip to Lanesboro and Whalan! And please remember to check individual business’ websites and social media for the most up-to-date information.
While some of our businesses close for the winter season, there are many that stay open. You can search for lodging availability by using our lodging search. Check out the business directory to see what restaurants, bars, and retail stores are open. It is always a good idea to double check business’ websites or social media to make sure they are open when you want to visit.
Lanesboro and Whalan host many events throughout the year, and these five events happen every winter season and feature family activities, shopping deals, restaurant specials, and more.
- Experience the Magic of Lanesboro (Small Business Saturday)
- New Years Eve Celebration
- Lovebirds in Lanesboro (Valentine’s Weekend)
- Cabin Fever Fest (second weekend in March)
- Get Squirrely with Surly (April)
- There are many other events happening in Lanesboro and Whalan. Please check our event calendar here for the most up to date information.
Things to Do in Winter
Winter brings time to relax, reflect, and enjoy some quiet. There are still many things to do (or not do - just chill!) in Lanesboro and Whalan in the winter time.
- Cozy overnight stays at bed and breakfasts and Inns
- Business and team retreats at one of our event spaces in Lanesboro or Whalan.
- Host your own event: Gather with friends for a weekend of games, drinks and great food, or crafting, gaming, etc. You can rent a private gathering space at one of our event spaces in Lanesboro or Whalan.
- Live music on weekends, usually at High Court Pub and Sylvan Brewing
- Fish our renowned streams and the Root River for winter catch and release - stop by Root River Rod Co. to get expert information and gear or book a guided trip.
- Massage therapy
- Shopping - with most retail stores open on weekends.
- Our restaurants offer a delectable diversity of food throughout the winter season, from chicken pot pie to home-made pizza:
- High Court Pub offers delicious flatbread pizza and wings.
- Clara’s Eatery creates sandwiches, paninis, small plates, and homemade pizza along with ice cream.
- Juniper’s Restaurant provides elevated fast casual dining to Lanesboro - burgers, walleye, fresh pasta dishes and more.
- Pedal Pushers Cafe cooks up a fun and eclectic menu with chicken pot pie, burgers, chicken grain bowl and other options.
- Savor a home-cooked breakfast,delightful pastries, and lunch at Home Sweet Home Cafe, Lanesboro Pastry Shoppe, and Brenda’s Stockyard Cafe
- Sip a delicious coffee or espresso drink at Parkway Market and Coffee House.
- Create your own mouth-watering charcuterie board by shopping at Parkway Market and Coffee House.
- Drop-in fitness classes at Action Fitness
- Pickleball at Lanesboro Community Center
- Cross-country ski on our groomed state trails with a MN DNR ski pass (for purchase at the Lanesboro BP gas station)
- Snow-shoe and cross-country ski rentals at Cedar Valley Resort in Whalan, Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center in rural Lanesboro, Isinours State Forest Unit (near Old Barn Resort), & Sylvan Park
- Ice-skating at Cedar Valley Resort in Whalan
- Ice skating & ice fishing on Bass Pond at Poetry Park (along Co Hwy 8 as you come into Lanesboro)
- Fat-tire biking at Eagle Bluff Environmental Learning Center
- Snow Art Challenge - create snow art, snap a pic, and enter to win cash prizes all winter long. Sponsored by local businesses.
- Local libations & brews: Sylvan Brewing, High Court Pub, Granny’s Liquor, Root River Saloon, Lanesboro Legion, Juniper’s,& Root River 102.
Beer and Distillery Trail
Start in Lanesboro at Sylvan Brewing and travel around Fillmore and Houston Counties to Trout City Brewing in Preston, Karst Brewing in Fountain, Harmony Spirits in Harmony, Four Daughters Winery in Spring Valley, Fat Pat’s Brewing & BBQ in Spring Grove, and Rock Filter Distillery in Spring Grove.
Don’t forget to visit our neighboring towns for more shopping, dining, events, and things to do in the winter!
Winter In Lanesboro, MN